Monday, October 17, 2011

I'm BA-ACK!!!!

Sorry about that folks!
Its been a crazy week!
But in return, I have several crafts to put up.
So I'm hoping you'll forgive me.

First! There was some crafty business going on at UMass Boston, and its a craft I don't do, so I took the opportunity to check it out!

Glass Etching:
Glass etching is this really cool procedure, mostly because it is a little bit dangerous. You get to work with ACID!
okay, its not quite mad scientist stuff, but involves applying an acidic paste to glass. This roughs up the surface and you use a stencil to get your desired effect.

Here is my finished product:


Photobucket

So, first things first: GO BEACONS!

Anyways, the stencil process for glass etching is really cool. First, you apply the stencil and tape it down.

Photobucket

That popsicle stick is then used to rub the stencil until that blue stuff comes off of the plastic you see there.
That becomes the official stencil.
Once that is done, you remove the plastic, tape around the area, and start applying the acidic paste.


Photobucket

You let that sit for a bit, and then wash it off. Removing the tape is the easy part. The stencil is a bit more stubborn. That said, it was a lot of fun.

1 comment:

  1. I really like stencils. You can do a lot with them. The glass looks great.

    ReplyDelete